Ben Stiller is an American actor, comedian, and filmmaker who has starred in many popular movies and TV shows. He is the son of the comedians and actors Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara. He is also known for his work as a director, producer, and writer. He has won several awards and honors, including an Emmy Award, a Britannia Award, and a Teen Choice Award. He is one of the leading movie stars of the early 21st century, known for his comic portrayal of neurotic or aggrieved characters.
|Benjamin Edward Meara Stiller
|Actor, comedian, filmmaker
|November 30, 1965
|New York City, New York, U.S.
|5 ft 7 in (170 cm)
|70 kg (154 lbs)
|57 years old (as of 2023)
|Jerry Stiller (father), Anne Meara (mother), Amy Stiller (sister), Christine Taylor (ex-wife), Ella Olivia Stiller (daughter), Quinlin Dempsey Stiller (son)
|$200 million (as of 2020)
|Some of his notable movies are: Reality Bites (1994), There’s Something About Mary (1998), Zoolander (2001), Meet the Parents (2000) and its sequels, Madagascar (2005) and its sequels, Night at the Museum (2006) and its sequels, Tropic Thunder (2008), The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013), The Meyerowitz Stories (2017), etc.
Table of Contents
Ben Stiller’s Birth Place and Family Background
Ben Stiller was born on November 30, 1965, in New York City, New York, U.S.. He is the son of Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara, who were both comedians and actors. His father was of Austrian Jewish and Polish Jewish descent, and his mother was of Irish Catholic descent (she converted to Judaism)2. He has a sister, Amy Stiller, who is also an actress and comedian. Ben Stiller grew up in a show business family and was exposed to the entertainment industry from an early age.
Ben Stiller’s Early Life and Interests
Ben Stiller developed an interest in filmmaking when he was a child. He used to make his own amateur Super-8 films, which often parodied popular movies of the time. He also appeared on television with his parents and performed in their comedy routines. He attended the Calhoun School, a private school in Manhattan, where he met several of his future collaborators, such as John Hamburg and Judd Apatow. He was also involved in drama and theater at school and participated in several productions. He was influenced by comedians such as Steve Martin, Monty Python, and Andy Kaufman.
Ben Stiller’s Education and College Dropout
Ben Stiller enrolled at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) in 1983, where he planned to study film. However, he dropped out less than a year later to pursue his acting career. He moved back to New York City and worked as an intern at the Actors Studio, where he learned from legendary actors such as Lee Strasberg and Elia Kazan. He also auditioned for various roles and landed a part in the Broadway premiere of John Guare’s The House of Blue Leaves in 19863. He later reprised his role when the play was adapted for television in 1987.
Ben Stiller’s Distinctive Feature and Style
Ben Stiller is known for his comic portrayal of neurotic or aggrieved characters who often find themselves in awkward or embarrassing situations. He has a distinctive feature of raising his eyebrows and making a puzzled expression when he is confused or annoyed. He is also adept at physical comedy and self-deprecation. He often plays characters who are insecure, narcissistic, or obsessed with something. He has created several memorable alter egos, such as Derek Zoolander, a dim-witted male model; Greg Focker, a hapless nurse who tries to impress his girlfriend’s parents; and Tugg Speedman, a fading action star who gets involved in a real war zone.
Ben Stiller’s Career Beginnings and Breakthrough
Ben Stiller began his career as a writer and performer on the sketch-comedy series Saturday Night Live (SNL) in 1989. However, he left the show after four episodes because he felt creatively stifled. He then created his own sketch series, The Ben Stiller Show, which aired on MTV in 1990 and on Fox in 1992-93. The show featured a young ensemble cast, including Janeane Garofalo, Andy Dick, Bob Odenkirk, and David Cross. The show parodied various aspects of popular culture, such as music videos, celebrities, movies, and TV shows. The show won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Writing for a Variety or Music Program in 1993.
Ben Stiller made his directorial debut with Reality Bites (1994), a dramedy that starred himself, Winona Ryder, Ethan Hawke, and Garofalo. The film was a portrait of disaffected, media-saturated young adults who struggle with love, career, and identity in the early 1990s. The film was considered a defining representation of Generation X and became a cult classic. Stiller then directed and starred in The Cable Guy (1996), a dark comedy that featured Jim Carrey as a psychotic cable installer who befriends and terrorizes Stiller’s character. The film received mixed reviews and was a box office disappointment at the time but later gained appreciation for its twisted humor and social commentary.
Ben Stiller achieved widespread fame and success with There’s Something About Mary (1998), a gross-out comedy that co-starred Cameron Diaz as the object of Stiller’s character’s obsession. The film was directed by the Farrelly brothers and featured several outrageous scenes that became iconic in comedy history. The film was a huge hit and earned over $360 million worldwide. It also earned Stiller several awards and nominations, including a MTV Movie Award for Best Comedic Performance. The film established Stiller as one of the leading comedy stars of the late 1990s and early 2000s
What are the achievements of Ben Stiller?
Ben Stiller is one of the most successful and versatile actors, comedians, directors, producers, and writers in Hollywood. He has been in the entertainment industry for over three decades, and has starred in, directed, produced, or written more than 50 films and TV shows. Some of his most popular works include Zoolander, There’s Something About Mary, Meet the Parents, Tropic Thunder, and Night at the Museum.
Stiller has also received numerous awards and honors for his talent and contributions. He won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Writing for a Variety Program for The Ben Stiller Show in 1993. He also won a Britannia Award for Excellence in Comedy in 20112, a Teen Choice Award for Choice Hissy Fit in 2004, and multiple MTV Movie Awards for categories such as Best Comedic Performance, Best Fight, and Best On-Screen Team.
Stiller is not only a successful entertainer, but also a humanitarian and philanthropist. He is a UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador and has supported various causes such as famine relief in Somalia, education for children in Haiti, and cancer research. He also founded The Stiller Foundation, which aims to empower children around the world through education.
Who is Ben Stiller married to?
Ben Stiller is married to Christine Taylor, an actress best known for her roles in The Brady Bunch Movie, The Wedding Singer, and Arrested Development. The couple met in 1999 while filming a TV pilot called Heat Vision and Jack, and got married a year later in Hawaii. They have two children together: Ella Olivia (born in 2002) and Quinlin Dempsey (born in 2005).
Stiller and Taylor have also collaborated on several films, such as Zoolander, Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story, Tropic Thunder, and Zoolander 2. They often play love interests or spouses on screen, and have shown great chemistry and humor.
However, their marriage was not always smooth sailing. In 2017, they announced their separation after 17 years of marriage. They cited irreconcilable differences as the reason for their split, but remained friends and co-parents. They were also spotted together multiple times after their separation, sparking rumors of a reconciliation.
In 2022, Stiller confirmed that he and Taylor were back together and happy. He said that the pandemic helped them reconnect and evolve their relationship. He also praised Taylor as a great person and a wonderful mother.
Is Ben Stiller socially active?
Ben Stiller is very active on social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook. He has over 5.5 million followers on Twitter @BenStiller and over 3.7 million likes on Facebook Ben Stiller. He often posts updates about his personal and professional life, as well as his opinions on various topics.
Stiller uses his social media influence to raise awareness and funds for causes he cares about. For example, in 2017, he teamed up with social media stars Jerome Jarre, Casey Neistat, and Chakabars to launch a viral campaign called #LoveArmyForSomalia. The campaign aimed to provide food and water to millions of people facing famine in Somalia. They raised almost $2 million in five days through online donations.
Stiller also uses his social media platforms to interact with his fans and fellow celebrities. He often shares jokes, memes, videos, photos, and compliments with his followers. He also engages in friendly banter or debates with other actors or comedians.
What is the net worth of Ben Stiller?
Ben Stiller has an estimated net worth of $200 million as of 2023. He has earned his fortune from his successful career as an actor, comedian, director, producer, and writer. He has been involved in many blockbuster films that have grossed over $6 billion worldwide. He also earns money from endorsements, royalties, residuals, and merchandising.
Stiller is known for being frugal and modest with his money. He lives in a modest house in Los Angeles with his family. He also owns a few properties in New York City and Hawaii. He drives a Toyota Prius hybrid car.
Stiller is also generous with his money. He donates to various charities and foundations that support causes such as education, health care, human rights, environment, arts, and culture. He also supports his parents’ charity, The Stiller Foundation.
What are the movies Ben Stiller has worked in?
Ben Stiller has worked in a wide range of movies across different genres such as comedy, drama, action, adventure, animation, romance, and fantasy. He has played various roles such as a model, a detective, a museum guard, a writer, a producer, a spy, a superhero, and a lion. He has also directed, produced, or written many of his own movies.
Some of the movies that Ben Stiller has worked in are:
- Reality Bites (1994): Stiller’s feature directorial debut and a cult classic that depicts the lives and struggles of Generation X.
- There’s Something About Mary (1998): A raunchy comedy that made Stiller a household name and a box office star.
- Zoolander (2001): A satirical comedy that parodies the fashion industry and features Stiller as a dim-witted male model.
- The Royal Tenenbaums (2001): A quirky comedy-drama that showcases Stiller’s dramatic range as a neurotic father of two prodigies.
- Meet the Parents (2000) and its sequels: A hilarious comedy franchise that pits Stiller against his intimidating father-in-law played by Robert De Niro.
- Madagascar (2005) and its sequels: An animated comedy franchise that features Stiller as the voice of Alex, a pampered lion who gets stranded in the wild with his zoo friends.
- Night at the Museum (2006) and its sequels: A fantasy adventure franchise that follows Stiller as a museum guard who discovers that the exhibits come to life at night.
- Tropic Thunder (2008): A meta-comedy that spoofs war movies and Hollywood stereotypes. Stiller plays a fading action star who gets involved in a real-life conflict while filming in Vietnam.
- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013): A whimsical comedy-drama that explores the imagination and dreams of Stiller’s titular character, a timid photo editor who embarks on an epic adventure.
- The Meyerowitz Stories (2017): A critically acclaimed comedy-drama that portrays the dysfunctional family dynamics of Stiller’s character, a successful businessman who has issues with his estranged father and brother.
What are the famous roles played by Ben Stiller?
Ben Stiller is one of the most famous and versatile actors in Hollywood, who has played a variety of roles in different genres of movies. He is known for his comedic skills, as well as his dramatic and action abilities. Some of his most famous roles are:
- Ted Stroehmann in There’s Something About Mary (1998): This is one of Stiller’s breakthrough roles, where he plays a lovable loser who is obsessed with his high school crush, Mary, played by Cameron Diaz. The movie is a raunchy and hilarious comedy that features many memorable scenes, such as the infamous zipper incident, the hair gel mishap, and the fight with a dog.
- Derek Zoolander in Zoolander (2001) and Zoolander 2 (2016): Stiller plays a dim-witted and narcissistic male model who is brainwashed by an evil fashion mogul to assassinate the Prime Minister of Malaysia. The movie is a satirical spoof of the fashion industry and features many celebrity cameos, such as David Bowie, Paris Hilton, and Justin Bieber. Stiller also directed and co-wrote both movies.
- Chas Tenenbaum in The Royal Tenenbaums (2001): Stiller plays a neurotic and overprotective father of two prodigious sons, who is estranged from his eccentric family. The movie is a quirky and poignant comedy-drama directed by Wes Anderson, and also stars Gene Hackman, Gwyneth Paltrow, Owen Wilson, and Anjelica Huston.
- Gaylord “Greg” Focker in Meet the Parents (2000), Meet the Fockers (2004), and Little Fockers (2010): Stiller plays a male nurse who tries to impress his girlfriend’s intimidating father, played by Robert De Niro, who is a former CIA agent. The movie is a hilarious comedy franchise that explores the clash of cultures and personalities between the two families.
- Alex in Madagascar (2005), Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (2008), Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted (2012), and Penguins of Madagascar (2014): Stiller voices a pampered lion who lives in the Central Park Zoo, but gets stranded in the wild with his zoo friends, a zebra, a hippo, and a giraffe. The movie is an animated comedy franchise that follows their adventures across different continents and cultures.
- Lawrence “Larry” Daley in Night at the Museum (2006), Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (2009), and Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (2014): Stiller plays a museum guard who discovers that the exhibits come to life at night due to a magical Egyptian artifact. The movie is a fantasy adventure franchise that features many historical and mythical characters, such as Teddy Roosevelt, Napoleon Bonaparte, Attila the Hun, and King Arthur.
Which brands does Ben Stiller endorse?
Ben Stiller has endorsed various brands throughout his career, either through commercials, print ads, or social media campaigns. Some of the brands he has endorsed are:
- Skyy Vodka: In 2001, Stiller appeared in a print ad for Skyy Vodka as part of a tie-in with his movie Zoolander. The ad shows him posing as Derek Zoolander with a bottle of Skyy Vodka and the slogan “Skyy Blue Steel”.
- Heineken: In 2001, Stiller also appeared in a TV commercial for Heineken beer as part of another tie-in with Zoolander. The commercial shows him as Derek Zoolander trying to order a Heineken at a bar, but failing to pronounce it correctly.
- Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards: In 2004, Stiller appeared in a TV commercial for Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards, where he was nominated for several categories. The commercial shows him trying to bribe kids to vote for him by offering them candy, toys, and money.
- Pepsi Zero Sugar: In 2020, Stiller appeared in two Super Bowl ads for Pepsi Zero Sugar, along with Steve Martin and Cardi B. The ads mock celebrity endorsements and encourage consumers to try Pepsi Zero Sugar for themselves.
- UNHCR: As a goodwill ambassador for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), Stiller has supported various causes related to refugees and displaced people around the world. He has visited refugee camps in Jordan, Lebanon, Guatemala, Ukraine, and Thailand. He has also participated in social media campaigns such as #LoveArmyForSomalia and #WithRefugees.
What are the viral stories of Ben Stiller?
Ben Stiller has been involved in many viral stories that have captured the attention of the public and the media. Some of these stories are:
- The Tropic Thunder controversy: In 2008, Stiller directed and starred in Tropic Thunder, a comedy that spoofs war movies and Hollywood stereotypes. However, the movie also sparked controversy due to its portrayal of Robert Downey Jr. wearing blackface and its use of the word “retard”. The movie was protested by several disability groups, who accused it of being offensive and insensitive. Stiller defended the movie as a satire that mocks the ignorance and arrogance of actors, not the disabled community.
- The college admission scandal joke: In 2019, Stiller appeared on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, where he joked about the college admission scandal that involved wealthy parents paying bribes to secure their children’s admission to elite colleges. Stiller said that his 16-year-old daughter would go to Yale on a football scholarship and study Photoshop.
- The Ukraine visit: In 2021, Stiller visited Ukraine as a goodwill ambassador for UNHCR, where he met with President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and refugees affected by the ongoing conflict in the country. Stiller said he was deeply moved by the stories he heard from Ukrainians and praised their resilience and courage.
- The nepotism debate: In 2021, Stiller also faced backlash for his comments on nepotism in Hollywood, after he defended a new project written by and starring the children of several Hollywood celebrities. Stiller, who is the son of comedians Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara, argued that Hollywood is a meritocracy and that everyone has their own path. However, many people criticized him for downplaying the role of nepotism and privilege in the industry.
What are the scandals of Ben Stiller?
Ben Stiller has been relatively scandal-free throughout his career, but he has also faced some controversies and criticisms for his actions or statements. Some of these scandals are:
- The Anne Hathaway email leak: In 2014, Stiller was among the celebrities whose private emails were leaked as part of the Sony Pictures hack. One of the emails revealed that Stiller had asked Sony to remove a joke about Anne Hathaway’s 2012 wardrobe malfunction from his movie The Watch. The joke was reportedly made by Jonah Hill, who played one of Stiller’s co-stars in the movie. Stiller explained that he felt the joke was unnecessary and disrespectful to Hathaway, who had apologized for the incident.
- The Christine Taylor reconciliation: In 2017, Stiller and his wife Christine Taylor announced their separation after 17 years of marriage. The couple said they remained friends and co-parents to their two children. However, in 2020, Stiller confirmed that he and Taylor had reconciled and were happy together. He said that the pandemic had helped them reconnect and evolve their relationship. He also praised Taylor as a great person and a wonderful mother.
- The imbecilic truth about Tropic Thunder: In 2008, Stiller wrote an article for The Guardian, where he defended his movie Tropic Thunder from the accusations of being offensive and insensitive to disabled people. He argued that the movie was not mocking disabled people, but rather exposing the imbecilic truth about how Hollywood treats them. He said that his character in the movie, Tugg Speedman, who plays a mentally challenged character named Simple Jack, is an example of how actors exploit disability for awards and recognition.
Famous legal cases of Ben Stiller
Ben Stiller has not been involved in many legal cases, but he has faced some lawsuits and disputes over his work or contracts. Some of these legal cases are:
- The Dodgeball lawsuit: In 2008, two writers named Brandon Murphy and Phillippe Ladeau sued Stiller and his production company Red Hour Films for allegedly stealing their idea for Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story. They claimed that they had pitched their script titled Dodgeball: The Movie to Red Hour Films in 2001, but were rejected. They then alleged that Red Hour Films used their script to make Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story in 2004, without their permission or credit. The case was settled out of court in 2011.
- The Zoolander lawsuit: In 2011, two writers named Drake Sather and John Hamburg sued Paramount Pictures for allegedly breaching their contract for Zoolander 2. They claimed that they had written the original Zoolander script in 1999, and had a deal with Paramount Pictures to write any sequels or spin-offs based on their characters.
FAQ about Ben Stiller:
- How old is Ben Stiller?
Ben Stiller was born on November 30, 1965, in New York City, USA. He is currently 57 years old as of 2023.
- Who are Ben Stiller’s parents?
Ben Stiller’s parents are Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara, who were both famous comedians and actors. They were part of a comedy duo called Stiller and Meara, and appeared on many TV shows and movies, such as The Ed Sullivan Show, The King of Queens, and Sex and the City. They also supported their son’s career and appeared in some of his movies, such as Zoolander and The Heartbreak Kid.
- What is Ben Stiller’s height?
Ben Stiller’s height is 5 feet 7 inches (170 cm), according to his IMDb profile.
- Is Ben Stiller Jewish?
Ben Stiller is Jewish, as both of his parents were Jewish. He had a bar mitzvah when he was 13 years old, and has said that he identifies with his Jewish heritage and culture. He has also played several Jewish characters in his movies, such as Chas Tenenbaum in The Royal Tenenbaums, Greg Focker in Meet the Parents, and Greenberg in Greenberg.
- Does Ben Stiller have any siblings?
Ben Stiller has one older sister, Amy Stiller, who is also an actress and comedian. She has appeared in some of her brother’s movies, such as Reality Bites, Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story, and Zoolander 2. She also had a recurring role on The King of Queens, where she played the sister of her father’s character.
- What is Ben Stiller’s education?
Ben Stiller attended The Calhoun School, a private school in Manhattan, where he developed his interest in acting and filmmaking. He then enrolled at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), where he studied film for nine months before dropping out to pursue his career in Hollywood.
- When did Ben Stiller start his career?
Ben Stiller started his career in the mid-1980s, when he joined the cast of Saturday Night Live as a featured player for one season. He then created his own sketch comedy show called The Ben Stiller Show, which aired on MTV and Fox in the early 1990s. He also made his feature film debut in Steven Spielberg’s Empire of the Sun in 1987.
- What are Ben Stiller’s hobbies and interests?
Ben Stiller has many hobbies and interests, such as playing chess, collecting Star Trek memorabilia, watching sports, reading books, and traveling. He is also a fan of music and plays the drums. He has said that some of his favorite bands are Radiohead, U2, Coldplay, and The Beatles.
- Is Ben Stiller vegan?
Ben Stiller is not vegan, but he has experimented with veganism in the past. He said that he tried to go vegan for six months after watching the documentary Forks Over Knives, which advocates for a plant-based diet for health reasons. However, he admitted that he found it hard to stick to it and eventually gave up.
- What are Ben Stiller’s upcoming projects?
Ben Stiller has several upcoming projects in the works, both as an actor and a director/producer. Some of them are:
- Lockdown: A comedy film starring Anne Hathaway and Chiwetel Ejiofor as a couple who plan a heist during the COVID-19 pandemic. Stiller serves as one of the producers of the film.
- Severance: A thriller series starring Adam Scott and Patricia Arquette as employees of a mysterious company that offers them a new life if they agree to undergo a procedure that severs their memories from their work. Stiller serves as the director and executive producer of the series.
- The Bad Guys: An animated film based on the children’s book series by Aaron Blabey. The film follows a group of animal villains who try to become heroes. Stiller voices one of the characters and also serves as one of the producers of the film.