Kevin Durant is one of the most talented and successful basketball players in the world. He has won numerous awards and championships, including two playerstitles, two NBA Finals MVPs, one NBA MVP, and four NBA scoring titles. He is also a 13-time NBA All-Star, a member of the NBA 75th Anniversary Team, and a two-time Olympic gold medalist. He currently plays for the Phoenix Suns in the NBA.
|Full Name||Kevin Wayne Durant|
|Birthday||September 29, 1988|
|Birth place||Washington, D.C., U.S.|
|Height||6 feet 10 inches (2.08 m)|
|Weight||240 pounds (108 kg)|
|Age||34 years old (as of September 2023)|
|Family members||Wanda Durant (mother), Wayne Pratt (father), Tony Durant (brother), Brianna Durant (sister), Rayvonne Pratt (brother)|
|Net worth||$170 million (as of 2020)|
|Movies||Thunderstruck (2012), Q Ball (2019), Swagger (2021)|
Table of Contents
Where was Kevin Durant born?
Kevin Durant was born on September 29, 1988, in Washington, D.C., the capital of the United States. He is the son of Wanda and Wayne Pratt, who divorced when he was an infant. He grew up with his mother, grandmother, and three siblings in Prince George’s County, Maryland, a suburban area near D.C. that is known for producing many basketball stars.
How was Kevin Durant’s early life?
Kevin Durant loved basketball from an early age and started playing at the age of eight. He joined his first organized team, the PG Jaguars, when he was 10 and led them to two national championships. He also played for various Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) teams and attended basketball camps run by NBA players such as Michael Jordan and Vince Carter. He idolized former NBA star Larry Bird and wore his number 33 jersey.
Durant faced many challenges and hardships in his childhood. He was often teased for being tall and skinny and struggled with his self-confidence. He also witnessed violence and crime in his neighborhood and lost some of his friends to gunshots or jail. He used basketball as an escape and a way to cope with his emotions. He also relied on his faith and family for support and guidance.
Where did Kevin Durant receive his education?
Kevin Durant attended four different high schools in four years. He started at National Christian Academy in Fort Washington, Maryland, where he averaged 25 points per game as a freshman. He then transferred to Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Virginia, a prestigious boarding school that has produced many NBA players. He averaged 19.6 points per game as a sophomore and helped Oak Hill win the national championship. He moved back to Maryland for his junior year and enrolled at Montrose Christian School in Rockville, where he averaged 23.6 points per game and was named the MVP of the McDonald’s All-American Game. He finished his high school career at Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Virginia, where he averaged 20 points per game as a senior and was named the co-MVP of the Jordan Brand Classic.
Durant was a highly recruited prospect who was ranked as the second-best player in the nation by most scouting services. He received offers from many top college programs, but he chose to play for the University of Texas, where he felt comfortable with the coaching staff and the style of play. He had an outstanding freshman season at Texas, where he averaged 25.8 points and 11.1 rebounds per game and became the first freshman to win the Naismith College Player of the Year award. He also won the Wooden Award, the Rupp Trophy, the Oscar Robertson Trophy, and the Adolph Rupp Trophy as the best player in college basketball. He was also a consensus first-team All-American and the Big 12 Player of the Year. He led Texas to a 25-10 record and a berth in the NCAA tournament, where they lost in the second round to USC.
What is distinctive feature of Kevin Durant?
Kevin Durant is known for his exceptional skills and versatility as a basketball player. He is one of the best scorers in NBA history, having won four scoring titles and averaging over 27 points per game for his career. He is also a proficient rebounder, passer, defender, and leader who can play multiple positions on the court. He has a rare combination of height (6 feet 10 inches), length (7 feet 5 inches wingspan), speed, agility, shooting touch, ball-handling ability, and basketball IQ that makes him almost impossible to guard or stop. He is also a clutch performer who has delivered many memorable moments in big games and pressure situations.
Durant is also known for his humble personality and charitable work off the court. He is widely respected by his peers, coaches, fans, and media for his professionalism, work ethic, loyalty, and kindness. He has been involved in many philanthropic initiatives, such as donating millions of dollars to various causes, building basketball courts around the world, supporting education and youth development programs, and helping victims of natural disasters. He has also won several awards for his community service, such as the NBA Community Assist Award and the Muhammad Ali Sports Humanitarian Award.
How did Kevin Durant begin his career?
Kevin Durant entered the 2007 NBA draft after one year of college basketball at Texas. He was selected by the Seattle SuperSonics with the second overall pick behind Greg Oden of Ohio State University. He signed a rookie contract worth $11 million over two years with an option for a third year. He made his NBA debut on November 2, 2007, against the Denver Nuggets and scored 18 points. He went on to have a stellar rookie season, averaging 20.3 points, 4.4 rebounds, and 2.4 assists per game and winning the NBA Rookie of the Year award. He also set several rookie records, such as scoring 30 or more points in four consecutive games and becoming the youngest player in NBA history to score 40 points in a game.
Durant’s rookie season was also marked by uncertainty and controversy, as the SuperSonics’ ownership group announced its intention to relocate the team to Oklahoma City due to a dispute with the city of Seattle over a new arena. The move was met with strong opposition and legal challenges from Seattle fans, politicians, and former players, who tried to keep the team in its original home. The saga ended in July 2008, when a settlement was reached that allowed the team to move to Oklahoma City in exchange for $45 million and the possibility of a future expansion team in Seattle. The SuperSonics became the Oklahoma City Thunder and Durant became the face of the new franchise.
What are the achievements of Kevin Durant?
Kevin Durant is one of the most accomplished and decorated basketball players of his generation. He has won numerous awards and honors for his individual and team performances, both at the college and professional levels. Some of his most notable achievements are:
- He is a 13-time NBA All-Star, a 10-time All-NBA First Team selection, and a four-time NBA scoring champion.
- He won two NBA championships with the Golden State Warriors in 2017 and 2018, and was named the NBA Finals MVP in both years.
- He was the NBA Most Valuable Player in 2014, when he averaged a career-high 32 points per game and led the Oklahoma City Thunder to the best record in the Western Conference.
- He is the only player in NBA history to win the Rookie of the Year, MVP, Finals MVP, scoring title, and Olympic gold medal.
What are the achievements of Kevin Durant?
Kevin Durant is one of the most accomplished and versatile basketball players in the world. He has won numerous awards and honors throughout his career, both individually and as a team member. Some of his most notable achievements are:
- 2× NBA champion: Durant won two consecutive NBA titles with the Golden State Warriors in 2017 and 2018, defeating the Cleveland Cavaliers in both finals. He was also named the NBA Finals MVP in both years, averaging 35.2 points, 8.2 rebounds, and 5.4 assists per game in 2017, and 28.8 points, 10.8 rebounds, and 7.5 assists per game in 2018.
- NBA Most Valuable Player: Durant was voted the NBA MVP for the 2013-14 season, after leading the league in scoring with 32 points per game and guiding the Oklahoma City Thunder to the second-best record in the Western Conference. He also averaged 7.4 rebounds, 5.5 assists, and 1.3 blocks per game, while shooting 50.3% from the field, 39.1% from three-point range, and 87.3% from the free-throw line.
- 4× NBA scoring champion: Durant has led the NBA in scoring four times in his career, in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2014. He is one of only four players in NBA history to win four or more scoring titles, along with Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain, and George Gervin.
- 13× NBA All-Star: Durant has been selected to play in the NBA All-Star Game every year since 2010, except for 2015 when he was injured. He has also won two NBA All-Star Game MVP awards, in 2012 and 2019, becoming one of only six players to win multiple All-Star Game MVPs.
- 6× All-NBA First Team: Durant has been named to the All-NBA First Team six times in his career, in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2018. He has also been named to the All-NBA Second Team four times, in 2016, 2017, 2019, and 2022.
- NBA Rookie of the Year: Durant won the NBA Rookie of the Year award for the 2007-08 season, after averaging 20.3 points, 4.4 rebounds, and 2.4 assists per game for the Seattle SuperSonics. He was also named to the NBA All-Rookie First Team and became the first rookie to join the exclusive 50–40–90 club, shooting at least 50% from the field, 40% from three-point range, and 90% from the free-throw line.
- NBA 75th Anniversary Team: Durant was named one of the 75 greatest players in NBA history in October 2023, as part of the league’s celebration of its diamond anniversary.
- 3× Olympic gold medalist: Durant has represented the United States at three Olympic Games, winning gold medals in London (2012), Rio de Janeiro (2016), and Tokyo (2020). He is also the all-time leading scorer in Team USA’s men’s Olympic basketball history, with a total of 432 points in 19 games.
- FIBA World Cup gold medalist: Durant also won a gold medal at the FIBA World Cup in Turkey (2010), where he was named the tournament’s MVP after averaging a team-high 22.8 points per game.
- College Player of the Year: Durant played one season of college basketball at Texas (2006-07), where he won numerous year-end awards and became the first freshman to be named Naismith College Player of the Year. He also won the John R. Wooden Award, the Adolph Rupp Trophy, the Oscar Robertson Trophy, and the NABC Division I Player of the Year award. He led the Big 12 Conference in scoring (25.8 points per game), rebounding (11.1 rebounds per game), and blocked shots (67), while shooting 47.3% from the field and 40.4% from three-point range.
Who is Kevin Durant married to?
Kevin Durant is not married as of August 2023. He has been romantically linked to several women over the years, but none of them have resulted in a marriage or an engagement.
Some of his past girlfriends include:
- Monica Wright: Durant dated Wright, a professional basketball player who played in the WNBA and overseas leagues, from late 2009 to 2014. They were engaged for a brief period in 2013, but called off their wedding due to religious differences. Wright is a devout Christian, while Durant is more spiritual than religious.
- Jasmine Shine: Durant dated Shine, a model and entrepreneur, from 2014 to 2016. They were spotted together at various events and on social media, but never confirmed their relationship publicly. They reportedly broke up in early 2016, shortly before Durant joined the Warriors.
- Cassandra Anderson: Durant dated Anderson, a real estate agent and former college volleyball player, from 2017 to 2018. They were seen together at several Warriors games and parties, but also kept their relationship low-key. They split up in late 2018, after Durant’s second championship with the Warriors.
- Lana Rhoades: Durant was rumored to have gone on a date with Rhoades, a former adult film star and podcast host, in 2021. Rhoades revealed on her podcast that she went out with an unnamed NBA player who brought another woman as a backup plan. She later hinted that the player was Durant, but he denied it on Twitter.
Is Kevin Durant socially active?
Kevin Durant is very active on social media, where he interacts with his fans and expresses his opinions on various topics. He has millions of followers on platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and YouTube.
Some of his social media accounts are:
- Twitter: @KDTrey5, where he has over 19 million followers as of August 2023. He posts frequently about basketball, music, movies, and current events. He also engages with other celebrities and responds to critics and trolls.
- Instagram: @easymoneysniper, where he has over 13 million followers as of August 2023. He shares photos and videos of his personal and professional life, including his workouts, travels, hobbies, and endorsements.
- Facebook: @KevinDurant, where he has over 9.7 million likes as of August 2023. He posts updates about his career, projects, and causes. He also streams live videos of his games and interviews.
- TikTok: @kevindurant35, where he has over 1.2 million followers as of August 2023. He posts humorous and creative videos of himself and his friends, often using popular songs and trends.
- YouTube: Kevin Durant, where he has over 800 thousand subscribers as of August 2023. He uploads original content such as documentaries, podcasts, interviews, and behind-the-scenes footage.
What is the net worth of Kevin Durant?
Kevin Durant is one of the highest-paid athletes in the world, with a net worth of $300 million as of August 2023. He earns most of his income from his basketball salary and his endorsement deals.
Some of his sources of income are:
- Basketball salary: Durant signed a four-year, $164 million contract with the Brooklyn Nets in 2019, which was later traded to the Phoenix Suns in 2023. His annual salary for the 2022-23 season is $42 million, making him one of the top five earners in the NBA.
- Endorsement deals: Durant has lucrative endorsement deals with several brands such as Nike, Coinbase, NBA Top Shot, FanDuel, Weedmaps, and more. He earns over $40 million per year from these deals. In 2023, he became the third player in NBA history to sign a lifetime contract with Nike, joining Michael Jordan and LeBron James.
- Business ventures: Durant is an active investor in the tech industry, with stakes in more than 80 companies through his firm Thirty Five Ventures. Some of his investments include Postmates, Acorns, Coinbase, Robinhood, Overtime, and MasterClass. He also owns media brand Boardroom and was a producer on “Two Distant Strangers”, which won an Oscar in 2021. In addition, he has stakes in sports franchises such as the Philadelphia Union (MLS), Gotham FC (NWSL), and Major League Pickleball.
What are the movies Kevin Durant has worked in?
Kevin Durant has appeared in several movies and TV shows as himself or as a fictional character. Some of his filmography credits are:
- Thunderstruck (2012): A comedy film starring Durant as himself and Taylor Gray as Brian Newall, a teenage fan who magically switches talents with him. The film was directed by John Whitesell and received mostly negative reviews from critics.
- Back for the Future (2011): A short film starring Durant as a customer who buys a pair of Nike MAG shoes from Christopher
What are the famous roles played by Kevin Durant?
Kevin Durant is not only a basketball superstar, but also a media personality who has appeared in various roles on the screen. Some of his famous roles are:
- Himself in Thunderstruck: In this 2012 comedy film, Durant plays himself as a basketball star who switches talents with a teenage fan, Brian Newall, after a magical encounter. The film follows the adventures and challenges of both Durant and Brian as they try to cope with their new situations and reverse the swap. The film was directed by John Whitesell and received mostly negative reviews from critics.
- Himself in Back for the Future: In this 2011 short film, Durant plays a customer who buys a pair of Nike MAG shoes from Christopher Lloyd, who reprises his role as Doc Brown from the Back to the Future trilogy. The film was part of a campaign to raise funds and awareness for the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research.
- Himself in The Real MVP: The Wanda Pratt Story: In this 2016 biographical film, Durant plays himself as an adult, while Daniel Bellomy portrays him as a young boy. The film tells the story of Durant’s mother, Wanda Pratt, who raised him and his brother as a single parent and supported his basketball dreams. The film was produced by Queen Latifah and aired on Lifetime.
- Himself in Swagger: In this 2020 sports drama series, Durant serves as a co-creator and executive producer, as well as playing himself in a cameo role. The series follows the lives of youth basketball players and coaches in Washington, D.C., where Durant grew up. The series explores themes such as family, friendship, race, class, and opportunity. The series stars O’Shea Jackson Jr., Isaiah Hill, Shinelle Azoroh, and Quvenzhané Wallis.
- Himself in Ballers: In this 2015 comedy-drama series, Durant plays himself as a guest star in two episodes. The series revolves around Spencer Strasmore, a retired NFL player turned financial manager for current players. Durant appears as one of Spencer’s potential clients who is interested in investing in a sports media company.
Which brands does Kevin Durant endorse?
Kevin Durant is one of the most marketable athletes in the world, with endorsement deals from various brands across different industries. Some of the brands that he endorses are:
- Nike: Durant has been associated with Nike since he entered the NBA in 2007. He has his own signature line of shoes and apparel with the brand, which are popular among fans and consumers. In 2014, he signed a 10-year contract extension with Nike worth $300 million. In 2023, he became one of the few athletes to sign a lifetime deal with Nike, joining Michael Jordan and LeBron James.
- Coinbase: Durant is an investor and ambassador for Coinbase, one of the leading cryptocurrency platforms in the world. He has promoted Coinbase on his social media accounts and appeared in its commercials. He has also invested in other crypto-related companies such as NBA Top Shot and OpenSea.
- Weedmaps: Durant is a partner and spokesperson for Weedmaps, an online platform that connects cannabis consumers with retailers and brands. He has advocated for the legalization and regulation of cannabis, especially for its benefits for athletes’ wellness and recovery. He has also collaborated with Weedmaps on content creation and community engagement.
- FanDuel: Durant is an investor and advisor for FanDuel, one of the leading sports betting and fantasy sports platforms in the US. He has helped FanDuel with its product development and marketing strategies. He has also partnered with FanDuel on his media network Boardroom, which features sports betting content.
- Degree: Durant is an ambassador for Degree, a deodorant brand that focuses on motion-activated freshness. He has appeared in Degree’s campaigns and commercials that highlight his movements on and off the court. He has also supported Degree’s social initiatives such as Degree x Kevin Durant Basketball Academy, which provides training and mentorship for young basketball players.
What are the viral stories of Kevin Durant?
Kevin Durant is no stranger to making headlines and going viral on social media, both for his achievements and controversies. Some of his viral stories are:
- His Twitter burner accounts: In 2017, Durant was caught using multiple fake Twitter accounts to defend himself from critics and trolls online. He accidentally replied to a tweet from his official account instead of switching to one of his burner accounts, exposing his secret activity. He later admitted and apologized for his mistake, but also said he enjoyed engaging with fans and having different perspectives.
- His beef with Drake: Durant and Drake, the rapper and Toronto Raptors superfan, have had a friendly but competitive rivalry over the years. They have trash-talked each other on the court and on social media, as well as praised each other’s talents. One of their most viral moments was in 2016, when Durant gave Drake a death stare after the rapper bumped into him during a post-game interview.
- His rap skills: Durant is a fan of rap music and has shown his rap skills on several occasions. He has recorded songs with rappers such as Wale, Dave East, and LeBron James. He has also freestyled on radio shows and podcasts, impressing listeners with his flow and lyrics. One of his most viral rap moments was in 2017, when he rapped over the instrumental of Kanye West’s “Runaway” on The Bill Simmons Podcast .
- His feud with Michael Rapaport: In 2021, Durant and Michael Rapaport, an actor and sports podcaster, had a heated exchange of direct messages on Instagram, in which Durant used homophobic, misogynistic, and profane language. Rapaport leaked the screenshots of their conversation online, sparking outrage and criticism. Durant apologized for his words, but also said he and Rapaport talked “crazier than this” on the regular .
- His first TikTok video: In 2021, Durant joined TikTok, one of the most popular social media apps in the world. His first video on the platform was a hilarious clip of him saying “Yo, how I work this sh-t?” while looking confused and amused. The video went viral and received millions of views and likes. Durant has since posted more humorous and creative videos on his account .
What are the scandals of Kevin Durant?
Kevin Durant has been involved in some scandals that have tarnished his reputation and image. Some of his scandals are:
- His departure from Oklahoma City: In 2016, Durant shocked the basketball world by leaving the Oklahoma City Thunder as a free agent and joining the Golden State Warriors, who had just set the regular season record of 73-9 and defeated the Thunder in the Western Conference Finals. His decision was seen as a betrayal by many fans and analysts, who accused him of taking the easy way out and joining a superteam. He was booed and criticized by his former teammates, fans, and media throughout the season .
- His injury in the 2019 NBA Finals: In 2019, Durant suffered a calf injury during the Western Conference semifinals against the Houston Rockets, which sidelined him for several games. He returned to action in Game 5 of the NBA Finals against the Toronto Raptors, but ruptured his Achilles tendon in the second quarter, ending his season and possibly altering his career. His injury raised questions about whether he was pressured to play by the Warriors’ management and medical staff, who cleared him to play despite the risk of aggravating his injury .
- His trade request from Brooklyn: In 2022, Durant requested a trade from the Brooklyn Nets after three seasons with the team. He cited disagreements with the Nets’ front office over their roster moves.
- Q: How old is Kevin Durant and where was he born?
- A: Kevin Durant is 34 years old as of September 2023. He was born on September 29, 1988, in Washington, D.C.
- Q: What is Kevin Durant’s height and weight?
- A: Kevin Durant is 6 feet 10 inches (2.08 meters) tall and weighs 240 pounds (109 kilograms).
- Q: What position does Kevin Durant play and what number does he wear?
- A: Kevin Durant plays as a small forward or a power forward, depending on the situation. He wears the number 35 in honor of his childhood coach and mentor, Charles Craig, who was killed at the age of 35.
- Q: Which teams has Kevin Durant played for in the NBA?
- A: Kevin Durant has played for four teams in the NBA: the Seattle SuperSonics (2007-08), the Oklahoma City Thunder (2008-2016), the Golden State Warriors (2016-2019), and the Phoenix Suns (2023-present). He was traded from the Brooklyn Nets to the Suns in 2023, along with Kyrie Irving and DeAndre Jordan.
- Q: How many championships has Kevin Durant won in the NBA?
- A: Kevin Durant has won two championships in the NBA, both with the Golden State Warriors in 2017 and 2018. He was also named the NBA Finals MVP in both years.
- Q: What are some of Kevin Durant’s nicknames?
- A: Kevin Durant has several nicknames, such as KD, Slim Reaper, Easy Money Sniper, The Servant, and Durantula. Some of these nicknames were given by fans, media, or teammates, while others were self-proclaimed by Durant himself.
- Q: What are some of Kevin Durant’s hobbies and interests?
- A: Kevin Durant enjoys various hobbies and interests, such as listening to rap music, watching movies and TV shows, playing video games, reading books, and investing in tech startups. He is also a fan of football and soccer, and supports the Washington Football Team and FC Barcelona.
- Q: What are some of Kevin Durant’s philanthropic activities?
- A: Kevin Durant is involved in several philanthropic activities, such as donating money and equipment to schools and communities, supporting causes such as education, health, youth development, and social justice, and launching his own foundation, The Kevin Durant Charity Foundation. He has also received awards for his humanitarian efforts, such as the NBA Community Assist Award and the Muhammad Ali Sports Humanitarian Award.
- Q: What are some of Kevin Durant’s controversies?
- A: Kevin Durant has faced some controversies throughout his career, such as his departure from Oklahoma City to join Golden State in 2016, his use of burner accounts on Twitter to defend himself from critics in 2017, his injury in the 2019 NBA Finals that raised questions about his medical clearance by the Warriors, and his trade request from Brooklyn to Phoenix in 2023 that showed his dissatisfaction with the Nets.
- Q: What are some of Kevin Durant’s achievements and honors?
- A: Kevin Durant has achieved and received many awards and honors in his career, such as:
- 2× NBA champion (2017, 2018)
- 2× NBA Finals MVP (2017, 2018)
- NBA Most Valuable Player (2014)
- 4× NBA scoring champion (2010–2012, 2014)
- 13× NBA All-Star (2010–2021)
- 2× NBA All-Star Game MVP (2012, 2019)
- 6× All-NBA First Team (2010–2014, 2018)
- NBA Rookie of the Year (2008)
- NBA 75th Anniversary Team (2023)
- 3× Olympic gold medalist (2012, 2016, 2020)
- FIBA World Cup gold medalist (2010)
- FIBA World Cup MVP (2010)
- College Player of the Year (2007)