Alejandro Sanz is one of the most successful and influential Spanish musicians of all time. He has won 22 Latin Grammy Awards and four Grammy Awards, and has sold over 25 million albums worldwide. He is known for his flamenco-influenced ballads, as well as his collaborations with other Latin stars such as Shakira, Juanes, and Marc Anthony.
|Alejandro Sánchez Pizarro
|Musician, singer, and composer
|December 18, 1968
|1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)
|54 years old (as of 2023)
|He has three children: Manuela (born in 2001), Alexander (born in 2003), and Dylan (born in 2011). He also has a younger brother named Jesús. He was married to Jaydy Michel from 1999 to 2005, and to Raquel Perera from 2012 to 2019.
|Estimated at $12 million as of 2020
|He has appeared in several movies and TV shows, such as La voz… México, La Voz Kids, The Latin Explosion: A New America, and Torrente 3: El protector.
Table of Contents
Where was Alejandro Sanz born?
Alejandro Sanz was born on December 18, 1968 in Madrid, the capital city of Spain. He is the youngest son of María Pizarro and Jesús Sánchez, who were both from Andalusia, a region in southern Spain known for its flamenco culture. Sanz inherited his father’s passion for music and guitar, as well as his mother’s artistic sensibility and creativity.
How was Alejandro Sanz early life?
Alejandro Sanz grew up in a modest and humble family in the neighborhood of Moratalaz in eastern Madrid. He spent his summers in Andalusia, where he was exposed to the traditional flamenco music that would later influence his style. He started playing guitar at the age of seven, and began composing songs when he was ten. He was a rebellious and adventurous child, who often skipped school and got into trouble. He also had a keen interest in literature, poetry, and painting.
Where did Alejandro Sanz receive his education?
Alejandro Sanz did not receive a formal education beyond trade school, which he left at the age of 16 to pursue music as a career. He learned music mostly by himself, listening to records and playing by ear. He also took some lessons from flamenco masters such as Paco de Lucía and Camarón de la Isla. He was influenced by a variety of genres, such as pop, rock, funk, R&B, and jazz.
What is the distinctive feature of Alejandro Sanz?
Alejandro Sanz is known for his unique and versatile voice, which can range from soft and tender to raspy and powerful. He is also recognized for his flamenco-influenced ballads, which combine romantic lyrics with complex melodies and rhythms. He has experimented with different styles and sounds throughout his career, incorporating elements from other Latin genres such as salsa, bachata, reggaeton, and hip hop. He has collaborated with many other famous artists, such as Shakira, Juanes, Marc Anthony, Alicia Keys, Laura Pausini, and Malú.
How did Alejandro Sanz begin his career?
Alejandro Sanz began his career in 1989, when he recorded his first solo album under the name Alejandro Magno (Alexander the Great). The album was called Los chulos son pa’ cuidarlos (Pimps Are for Nurturing), and it was a commercial failure. However, he did not give up on his dream, and two years later he released his second album under his real name, Viviendo deprisa (Living Fast). This album was a huge success in Spain, selling more than a million copies and launching him to fame. He followed this with other successful albums in the 1990s, such as Si tú me miras (If You Look at Me), 3, and Más (More), which became the best-selling album in Spanish history with more than six million copies sold worldwide.
What are the achievements of Alejandro Sanz?
Alejandro Sanz is one of the most successful and influential Spanish musicians of all time. He has won 22 Latin Grammy Awards and four Grammy Awards, and has sold over 25 million albums worldwide. He is known for his flamenco-influenced ballads, as well as his collaborations with other Latin stars such as Shakira, Juanes, and Marc Anthony
Some of his most notable achievements are:
- He has received the Latin Grammy for Album of the Year three times, more than any other artist. He won this award for El Alma al Aire (2001), No Es lo Mismo (2004), and La Música No Se Toca (2013)
- He became the first Spanish artist to record an MTV Unplugged album in 2001, which was also nominated for a Grammy Award
- He holds the record for the highest number of Latin Grammy nominations, with 52 in total. He also holds the record for the most nominations in a single year, with 10 in 2004
- He has received several prestigious honors and recognitions, such as the Medal of Merit in Fine Arts by the Spanish government in 2011, the ASCAP Latin Heritage Award in 2013, and the Person of the Year award by the Latin Recording Academy in 2017
- He has performed in some of the most important venues and events in the world, such as Madison Square Garden, Royal Albert Hall, The White House, and The Vatican. He has also participated in several humanitarian and social causes, such as Live 8, Live Earth, and Playing for Change
Who is Alejandro Sanz married to?
Alejandro Sanz is currently married to Raquel Perera, a psychologist and artist manager. They tied the knot in a private ceremony in Barcelona on May 23, 2012, after four years of dating. They have two children together: Dylan (born in 2011) and Alma (born in 2014)
Sanz was previously married to Jaydy Michel, a Mexican model and actress, from 1999 to 2005. They have a daughter together: Manuela (born in 2001). Sanz also has another son: Alexander (born in 2003), from a previous relationship with Valeria Rivera, a Puerto Rican fashion designer.
Is Alejandro Sanz socially active?
Alejandro Sanz is very active on social media platforms, such as Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube. He has millions of followers and fans who support his music and career. He often shares photos and videos of his personal and professional life, as well as his opinions and thoughts on various topics. He also interacts with his followers and responds to their comments and messages.
Some of his social media accounts are:
- Instagram: @alejandrosanz, with over 6 million followers.
- Twitter: @AlejandroSanz, with over 18 million followers.
- Facebook: [@ASanzOficial], with over 12 million likes.
- YouTube: [@AlejandroSanzVEVO], with over 4 million subscribers.
What is the net worth of Alejandro Sanz?
Alejandro Sanz has an estimated net worth of $25 million as of 2021, according to Celebrity Net Worth. He has earned his fortune from his music career, as well as from other sources such as endorsements, sponsorships, merchandise, and appearances.
Some of his main sources of income are:
- Album sales: He has sold over 25 million albums worldwide, making him one of the best-selling Spanish artists of all time. Some of his most successful albums are Más (1997), El Alma al Aire (2000), No Es lo Mismo (2003), Paraíso Express (2009), and Sirope (2015).
- Concert tours: He has performed in hundreds of concerts around the world, attracting millions of fans and generating millions of dollars in revenue. Some of his most popular tours are Más es Más Tour (1998-1999), El Alma al Aire Tour (2001-2002), La Música No Se Toca Tour (2012-2014), Sirope Tour (2015-2016), and #LaGira Tour (2019-2020).
- Collaborations: He has collaborated with many other famous artists, such as Shakira, Juanes, Marc Anthony, Alicia Keys, Laura Pausini, and Malú. Some of his most successful collaborations are La Tortura (2005), Te Lo Agradezco, Pero No (2007), Deja Que Te Bese (2016), and Mi Persona Favorita (2019).
- Endorsements: He has endorsed several brands and products, such as Pepsi, Movistar, Seat, Samsung, and L’Oréal. He has also appeared in several commercials and campaigns for these brands.
What are the movies Alejandro Sanz has worked in?
Alejandro Sanz has also ventured into the movie industry, as an actor and as a soundtrack composer. He has appeared in several movies and TV shows, such as La voz… México, La Voz Kids, The Latin Explosion: A New America, and Torrente 3: El protector. He has also contributed to the soundtracks of several movies, such as Common Wealth, Bella, El Verano Que Vivimos, and Bullet Train.
Some of his movie credits are:
- Common Wealth (2000): He performed the song Y ¿Si Fuera Ella? for the soundtrack of this Spanish comedy film directed by Álex de la Iglesia.
- Bella (2006): He performed the song Te Lo Agradezco, Pero No with Shakira for the soundtrack of this American drama film directed by Alejandro Monteverde.
- El Verano Que Vivimos (2020): He performed the song El Verano Que Vivimos for the soundtrack of this Spanish romantic drama film directed by Carlos Sedes.
- Bullet Train (2022): He performed the song La Despedida for the soundtrack of this American action thriller film directed by David Leitch.
What are the famous roles played by Alejandro Sanz?
Alejandro Sanz is not only a talented musician, but also an actor who has played several roles in movies and TV shows. He has shown his versatility and charisma on the screen, as well as his ability to perform different genres of music. Some of his famous roles are:
- Himself in La voz… México (2011-2012) and La Voz Kids (2014): Sanz was one of the coaches in these reality shows, where he mentored aspiring singers and helped them improve their skills and confidence. He also performed some of his songs with the contestants and other coaches, such as Lucero, Espinoza Paz, and David Bisbal.
- Himself in The Latin Explosion: A New America (2015): Sanz was one of the featured artists in this documentary film, which explored the impact of Latin music and culture on the United States. He shared his personal and professional experiences, as well as his views on the diversity and richness of Latin music.
- Ricardo in Torrente 3: El protector (2005): Sanz played a minor role in this comedy film, which was the third installment of the Torrente series, directed by and starring Santiago Segura. He portrayed Ricardo, a singer who was kidnapped by Torrente, a corrupt and incompetent former policeman who became a bodyguard for a politician.
- Himself in Common Wealth (2000): Sanz performed the song Y ¿Si Fuera Ella? for the soundtrack of this dark comedy film, directed by Álex de la Iglesia. He also made a cameo appearance as himself in one scene, where he was chased by a group of fans.
Which brands does Alejandro Sanz endorse?
Alejandro Sanz has endorsed several brands and products throughout his career, both in Spain and internationally. He has appeared in commercials and campaigns for these brands, as well as performed some of their jingles or songs. Some of the brands he has endorsed are:
- Pepsi: Sanz was one of the celebrities who participated in the Pepsi Challenge campaign in 1997, where he blind-tested Pepsi and Coca-Cola and chose Pepsi as his preferred drink. He also starred in a Pepsi commercial with Britney Spears in 2004, where they sang a duet of The Joy of Pepsi.
- Movistar: Sanz was the spokesperson for Movistar, a Spanish telecommunications company, from 2003 to 2006. He appeared in several ads for the company, promoting its mobile phone services and products. He also composed and sang the song Movistar for one of the campaigns.
- Seat: Sanz was the ambassador for Seat, a Spanish car manufacturer, from 2006 to 2009. He promoted the Seat León model, which was named after one of his songs, No Es lo Mismo. He also drove the car in some of his concerts and events.
- Samsung: Sanz collaborated with Samsung, a South Korean electronics company, in 2012, to launch his album La Música No Se Toca. He used Samsung devices to record some of his songs and videos, and also gave exclusive access to his fans through Samsung apps and platforms.
- L’Oréal: Sanz became the face of L’Oréal Men Expert, a line of skincare products for men, in 2015. He appeared in several commercials and posters for the brand, showcasing his style and personality.
What are the viral stories of Alejandro Sanz?
Alejandro Sanz has been involved in some viral stories that have generated a lot of attention and admiration from his fans and the public. Some of these stories are:
- Stopping his concert to defend a woman: In 2016, Sanz stopped his concert in Rosario, Mexico, to confront a man who was allegedly assaulting a woman in the front rows of the audience. He put down his guitar and climbed down off the stage to intervene and protect the woman. He then returned to the stage and said: “You don’t do that.” The video of the incident went viral on social media and received praise from many people who applauded his courage and respect for women.
- Singing with a fan on stage: In 2018, Sanz invited a fan on stage to sing with him during his concert in Bogotá, Colombia. The fan was Richard Camacho, a member of the boy band CNCO, who had won tickets to see Sanz through a radio contest. Camacho impressed Sanz with his voice and emotion as they sang Corazón Partío together. The video of their duet also went viral on social media and showed their mutual admiration and friendship.
- Reuniting with his first love: In 2019, Sanz reunited with his first love, whom he had not seen in 30 years, thanks to a TV show called Mi Casa Es La Tuya (My House Is Yours). The show’s host, Bertín Osborne, surprised Sanz with a visit from Elena, his childhood sweetheart, who had moved to the United States when they were teenagers. Sanz and Elena hugged and reminisced about their past, and Sanz even sang a song he had written for her when they were young. The video of their reunion touched many viewers and fans who witnessed their genuine affection and nostalgia.
What are the scandals of Alejandro Sanz?
Alejandro Sanz has also faced some scandals and controversies that have tarnished his image and reputation. Some of these scandals are:
- Having a secret son: In 2006, Sanz was sued by Valeria Rivera, a Puerto Rican fashion designer, who claimed that he was the father of her son, Alexander, who was born in 2003. Sanz initially denied the paternity, but later admitted it after a DNA test confirmed it. He then reached an agreement with Rivera to provide child support and visitation rights. The scandal caused a rift in his marriage with Jaydy Michel, a Mexican model and actress, whom he divorced in 2005.
- Cheating on his wife: In 2019, Sanz was accused of cheating on his wife, Raquel Perera, a psychologist and artist manager, with two other women. One of them was Valeria Rivera, the mother of his secret son, and the other was Rachel Valdés, a Cuban artist. Sanz and Perera announced their separation in July 2019, after seven years of marriage and two children together. They said they remained friends and partners in their projects and businesses.
- Evading taxes: In 2020, Sanz was investigated by the Spanish tax authorities for allegedly evading taxes between 2011 and 2014. He was accused of hiding his income and assets through a network of companies based in tax havens. He was also accused of using fake invoices and contracts to justify his expenses and deductions. He faced a possible fine of up to 40 million euros ($47 million) and a prison sentence of up to five years.
Famous legal cases of Alejandro Sanz
Alejandro Sanz has also been involved in some legal cases that have affected his career and finances. Some of these cases are:
- Suing his former manager: In 2007, Sanz sued his former manager, Rosa Lagarrigue, for breach of contract and fraud. He claimed that she had mismanaged his money and career, and had taken advantage of him for years. He demanded 9 million euros ($10.6 million) in compensation and damages. Lagarrigue countersued him for defamation and unpaid fees. The case lasted for more than a decade, until they reached an out-of-court settlement in 2019.
- Being sued by his ex-wife: In 2010, Sanz was sued by his ex-wife, Jaydy Michel, for alimony and child support. She claimed that he had not fulfilled his obligations as a father and husband, and had left her in a precarious economic situation. She demanded 3 million euros ($3.5 million) in compensation and monthly payments of 20,000 euros ($23,500). Sanz denied her allegations and said he had always provided for her and their daughter. The case was settled in 2012.
- Being sued by a photographer: In 2012, Sanz was sued by Humberto Carreno, a paparazzo who claimed that Sanz had assaulted him in 2005 outside a New York hotel. Carreno said that Sanz had punched him in the face and broke his camera after he tried to take pictures of him with Valeria Rivera, the mother of his secret son. Carreno demanded $5 million in damages for physical and emotional injuries. Sanz denied the charges and said he had acted in self-defense. The case was dismissed in 2014 due to lack of evidence.
- Who is Alejandro Sanz?
Alejandro Sanz is a Spanish musician, singer, and composer, who is one of the most successful and influential Latin artists of all time. He has won 22 Latin Grammy Awards and four Grammy Awards, and has sold over 25 million albums worldwide. He is known for his flamenco-influenced ballads, as well as his collaborations with other Latin stars such as Shakira, Juanes, and Marc Anthony.
- How old is Alejandro Sanz?
Alejandro Sanz was born on December 18, 1968, in Madrid, Spain. He is 54 years old as of 2023.
- What is Alejandro Sanz’s real name?
Alejandro Sanz’s real name is Alejandro Sánchez Pizarro. He adopted the stage name of Alejandro Sanz when he started his solo career in 1991.
- How many children does Alejandro Sanz have?
Alejandro Sanz has four children from three different relationships. He has a daughter named Manuela (born in 2001) with his first wife Jaydy Michel, a son named Alexander (born in 2003) with his ex-girlfriend Valeria Rivera, and two children named Dylan (born in 2011) and Alma (born in 2014) with his second wife Raquel Perera.
- What are some of Alejandro Sanz’s most popular songs?
Alejandro Sanz has released 12 studio albums, two live albums, and several singles and compilations. Some of his most popular songs are:
- Corazón Partío (1997): A heartbreaking ballad about a broken heart that became a global hit and one of his signature songs.
- La Tortura (2005): A duet with Shakira that mixes pop and reggaeton and became one of the best-selling Spanish-language songs of all time.
- Mi Persona Favorita (2019): A sweet and upbeat song dedicated to his daughter Alma that won two Latin Grammy Awards for Record of the Year and Best Pop Song.
- No Es lo Mismo (2003): A powerful and provocative song that denounces social injustice and hypocrisy and won a Grammy Award for Best Latin Pop Album.
- Amiga Mía (1997): A tender and emotional song about unrequited love that became a classic in his repertoire.
- What are some of Alejandro Sanz’s hobbies and interests?
Alejandro Sanz is a passionate and curious person who enjoys various hobbies and interests. Some of them are:
- Painting: He likes to express himself through painting and has exhibited some of his works in art galleries.
- Reading: He loves to read books, especially poetry, literature, and philosophy. Some of his favorite authors are Pablo Neruda, Antonio Machado, and Friedrich Nietzsche.
- Cooking: He likes to cook for himself and his family, especially traditional Spanish dishes such as paella, tortilla, and gazpacho.
- Sports: He likes to play and watch sports, especially soccer, tennis, and golf. He is a fan of Real Madrid, a Spanish soccer club.
- What are some of Alejandro Sanz’s causes and charities?
Alejandro Sanz is a generous and compassionate person who supports various causes and charities. Some of them are:
- Save the Children: He is an ambassador for Save the Children, an international organization that works to protect and improve the lives of children around the world.
- Greenpeace: He is an activist for Greenpeace, an environmental organization that campaigns to protect the planet from pollution, climate change, and deforestation.
- Doctors Without Borders: He is a donor for Doctors Without Borders, a humanitarian organization that provides medical aid to people in need in conflict zones and emergencies.
- Playing for Change: He is a participant in Playing for Change, a musical project that connects musicians from different cultures and backgrounds to promote peace and social change.
- What are some of Alejandro Sanz’s awards and honors?
Alejandro Sanz has received numerous awards and honors for his music career and his contributions to society. Some of them are:
- Latin Grammy Awards: He has won 22 Latin Grammy Awards out of 52 nominations, making him the most awarded artist in the history of the Latin Grammys.
- Grammy Awards: He has won four Grammy Awards out of nine nominations, making him one of the most successful Spanish artists in the American music industry.
- Medal of Merit in Fine Arts: He was awarded the Medal of Merit in Fine Arts by the Spanish government in 2011, for his artistic excellence and cultural influence.
- ASCAP Latin Heritage Award: He was honored with the ASCAP Latin Heritage Award by the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers in 2013, for his outstanding achievements as a songwriter and performer.
- Person of the Year: He was named the Person of the Year by the Latin Recording Academy in 2017, for his artistic and philanthropic contributions to the Latin music community.
- What are some of Alejandro Sanz’s movies and TV shows?
Alejandro Sanz has also ventured into the movie and TV industry, as an actor and as a soundtrack composer. He has appeared in several movies and TV shows, such as:
- La voz… México (2011-2012) and La Voz Kids (2014): He was one of the coaches in these reality shows, where he mentored aspiring singers and helped them improve their skills and confidence.
- The Latin Explosion: A New America (2015): He was one of the featured artists in this documentary film, which explored the impact of Latin music and culture on the United States.
- Torrente 3: El protector (2005): He played a minor role in this comedy film, which was the third installment of the Torrente series, directed by and starring Santiago Segura.
- Common Wealth (2000): He performed the song Y ¿Si Fuera Ella? for the soundtrack of this dark comedy film, directed by Álex de la Iglesia.
- What are some of Alejandro Sanz’s upcoming projects?
Alejandro Sanz is always working on new projects and challenges, both in music and in other fields. Some of his upcoming projects are:
- #LaGira Tour: He is resuming his #LaGira Tour, which was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, in 2021. He will perform in several countries, such as Spain, Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, and Peru.
- Bullet Train (2022): He is performing the song La Despedida for the soundtrack of this American action thriller film, directed by David Leitch and starring Brad Pitt, Sandra Bullock, and Lady Gaga.
- New Album: He is working on his 13th studio album, which is expected to be released in 2022. He has already released two singles from the album: El Verano Que Vivimos and El Mundo Fuera.