Kanye West is one of the most influential and controversial figures in the music and fashion industry. He is a rapper, producer, fashion designer, and entrepreneur who has won 24 Grammy Awards and sold over 160 million records worldwide. He is also known for his outspoken views on politics, religion, and culture, as well as his personal life and marriage to Kim Kardashian.
In this article, we will explore the life and career of Kanye West, from his humble beginnings in Chicago to his global fame and fortune. We will also look at some of his most notable achievements, challenges, and controversies, as well as his artistic vision and style.
Here is a table with the details about the celebrity Kanye West that you requested:
|Birthday||June 8, 1977|
|Birth place||Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.|
|Height||5 ft 8 in or 173 cm|
|Weight||80 kg or 176 pounds|
|Age||46 years old (as of 2023)|
|Family members||Parents: Ray West (father), Donda West (mother, deceased) |
Spouse: Kim Kardashian (m. 2014; div. 2022)
Children: North West, Saint West, Chicago West, Psalm West
Cousins: Devo Harris, Tony Williams
|Net worth||$2 billion (as of 2022)|
|Movies||Some of the movies that Kanye West has appeared in or contributed to are: |
Fade to Black (2004)
State Property 2 (2005)
The Love Guru (2008)
Cruel Summer (2012)
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (2013)
Zoo lander 2 (2016)
Jesus Is King (2019)
Wash Us in the Blood (2020)
Donda by Kanye West (2021)
Table of Contents
Early Life and Education
Kanye Omari West was born on June 8, 1977, in Atlanta, Georgia. His parents were Ray West, a former Black Panther and photojournalist, and Donda West, a professor of English at Clark Atlanta University. His parents divorced when he was three years old, and he moved with his mother to Chicago, Illinois.
West grew up in a middle-class neighborhood in the South Shore area of Chicago. He attended Polaris High School, where he excelled academically and artistically. He developed an interest in music at an early age, and began rapping and producing beats in his home studio. He also participated in poetry slams and art competitions.
After graduating from high school, West received a scholarship to attend the American Academy of Art in Chicago. He studied painting for a year before transferring to Chicago State University to study English. However, he dropped out of college at the age of 20 to pursue his musical career full-time.
West began his musical career as a producer for local artists in Chicago. He soon gained recognition for his production skills and style, which incorporated soulful samples, orchestral arrangements, and sped-up vocals. He worked with artists such as Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, and Jay-Z.
In 2000, West moved to New York City to work as a producer for Roc-A-Fella Records, the label founded by Jay-Z. He produced several hit singles for Jay-Z’s album The Blueprint (2001), such as “Izzo (H.O.V.A.)” and “Takeover”. He also produced songs for other artists on the label, such as Beanie Sigel, Freeway, Cam’ron, and Ludacris.
West had always wanted to be a rapper as well as a producer, but he faced rejection from many record labels who did not see him as a marketable artist. He was often stereotyped as a “backpack rapper” who did not fit the mainstream image of gangsta rap. He was also criticized for his appearance, voice, and fashion sense.
However, West did not give up on his dream of becoming a rapper. He recorded several demo tapes and performed at open mic nights and showcases. In 2002, he was involved in a near-fatal car accident that left him with a shattered jaw. He recorded his first single “Through the Wire” while his jaw was still wired shut. The song was based on his experience of the accident and his determination to overcome it.
- The song caught the attention of Roc-A-Fella Records, who finally agreed to sign West as a rapper. West released his debut album The College Dropout in 2004 to critical and commercial success. The album featured guest appearances from Jay-Z, Syleena Johnson, Jamie Foxx, Common, Mos Def, Ludacris, and others. It also spawned several hit singles such as “Jesus Walks”, “All Falls Down”, “Slow Jamz”, and “The New Workout Plan”. The album earned West 10 Grammy nominations and three wins.
- West followed up with his second album Late Registration in 2005. The album was co-produced by Jon Brion, who added more musical elements such as strings, horns, piano, and choirs. The album featured guest appearances from Adam Levine, Paul Wall, Nas, Lupe Fiasco, Cam’ron, Jay-Z, and others. It also spawned several hit singles such as “Gold Digger”, “Touch the Sky”, “Heard ‘Em Say”, and “Diamonds from Sierra Leone”. The album earned West eight Grammy nominations and four wins.
- West released his third album Graduation in 2007. The album was influenced by electronic music and stadium rock. The album featured guest appearances from T-Pain, Lil Wayne, Mos Def, Dwele, and others. It also spawned several hit singles such as “Stronger”, “Good Life”, “Can’t Tell Me Nothing”, and “Flashing Lights”. The album earned West eight Grammy nominations and four wins.
- West released his fourth album 808s & Heartbreak in 2008. The album was a departure from his previous albums and explored themes of loss, loneliness, and heartbreak. The album was inspired by the death of his mother Donda West and the end of his engagement to Alexis Phifer. The album featured minimal guest appearances from Kid Cudi, Lil Wayne, Young Jeezy, and others. It also spawned several hit singles such as “Love Lockdown”, “Heartless”, “Amazing”, and “Paranoid”. The album received mixed reviews from critics but was praised for its innovation and influence.
- West released his fifth album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy in 2010. The album was a return to his rap roots and showcased his artistic ambition and creativity. The album featured guest appearances from Jay-Z, Nicki Minaj, Rick Ross, Kid Cudi, John Legend, Bon Iver, Raekwon, Pusha T, and others. It also spawned several hit singles such as “Power”, “Runaway”, “Monster”, and “All of the Lights”. The album received universal acclaim from critics and is widely regarded as one of the best albums of all time.
- West released his sixth album Yeezus in 2013. The album was a radical departure from his previous albums and explored themes of race, sex, religion, and consumerism. The album was influenced by industrial music, punk rock, and experimental music. The album featured minimal guest appearances from Frank Ocean, Chief Keef, Justin Vernon, Kid Cudi, and others. It also spawned several hit singles such as “Black Skinhead”, “New Slaves”, “Bound 2”, and “Blood on the Leaves”. The album received polarized reviews from critics but was praised for its originality and risk-taking.
- West released his seventh album The Life of Pablo in 2016. The album was a fusion of his previous albums and showcased his musical diversity and evolution. The album featured guest appearances from Rihanna, Chance the Rapper, Kendrick Lamar, Young Thug, The Weeknd, Ty Dolla Sign, Post Malone, and others. It also spawned several hit singles such as “Famous”, “Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1”, “Ultralight Beam”, and “Fade”. The album received positive reviews from critics but was criticized for its unfinished and chaotic nature.
- West released his eighth album Ye in 2018. The album was a personal and introspective album that addressed his mental health, marriage, and controversies. The album featured guest appearances from Kid Cudi, 070 Shake, Ty Dolla Sign, Jeremih, Young Thug, Charlie Wilson, and others. It also spawned several hit singles such as “Yikes”, “All Mine”, “Ghost Town”, and “Violent Crimes”. The album received mixed reviews from critics but was praised for its honesty and vulnerability.
- West released his ninth album Jesus Is King in 2019. The album was a gospel-inspired album that expressed his Christian faith and beliefs. The album featured guest appearances from Clipse, Ty Dolla Sign, Kenny G, Fred Hammond, Ant Clemons, and others. It also spawned several hit singles such as “Follow God”, “Closed on Sunday”, “On God”, and “God Is”. The album received mixed reviews from critics but was praised for its spirituality and production.
- West released his tenth album Donda in 2021. The album was a tribute to his late mother Donda West and explored themes of family, legacy, redemption, and faith. The album featured guest appearances from Jay-Z, Travis Scott, The Weeknd, Lil Baby, Kid Cudi, Young Thug, Pop Smoke, Jay Electronica, and others. It also spawned several hit singles such as “Jail”, “Hurricane”, “Off the Grid”, and “Moon”. The album received mixed reviews from critics but was praised for its scope and ambition.
West has always been interested in fashion and has expressed his desire to be a fashion designer since his early days. He has collaborated with several brands and designers such as Nike, Louis Vuitton, A.P.C., Giuseppe Zanotti, and Adidas. He has also launched his own fashion lines such as Pastelle, DW Kanye West, and Yeezy.
In 2009, West collaborated with Nike to create the Air Yeezy sneakers. The sneakers were highly anticipated and sold out quickly. West also collaborated with Louis Vuitton to create a line of luxury sneakers. The sneakers were well-received by critics and fans alike.
In 2011, West debuted his first women’s clothing line at Paris Fashion Week. The line was called DW Kanye West, after his mother’s initials. The line featured fur, leather, silk, and velvet pieces. The line received mixed reviews from critics and fashion insiders.
In 2013, West collaborated with A.P.C. to create a capsule collection of jeans, hoodies, and T-shirts. The collection was minimalist and understated. The collection sold out within hours of its release.
In 2014, West announced his partnership with Adidas to create the Yeezy line. The line consists of sneakers, clothing, and accessories. The line is known for its futuristic and utilitarian design, as well as its limited availability and high demand. The line has been praised by critics and fans alike.
In 2015, West debuted his first Yeezy Season collection at New York Fashion Week. The collection featured military-inspired and distressed pieces in neutral tones. The collection received mixed reviews from critics and fashion insiders.
In 2016, West debuted his second Yeezy Season collection at Madison Square Garden. The collection featured more colorful and diverse pieces, as well as models of different ages, sizes, and ethnicities. The collection received positive reviews from critics and fashion insiders.
In 2017, West debuted his third Yeezy Season collection at Pier 59 Studios. The collection featured more refined and sophisticated pieces, as well as models wearing hijabs and headscarves. The collection received positive reviews from critics and fashion insiders.
In 2018, West debuted his fourth Yeezy Season collection at Roosevelt Island. The collection featured more sporty and casual pieces, as well as models wearing sneakers and sandals. The collection received mixed reviews from critics and fashion insiders.
In 2019, West debuted his fifth Yeezy Season collection at Paris Fashion Week. The collection featured more elegant and glamorous pieces, as well as models wearing heels and boots. The collection received positive reviews from critics and fashion insiders.
In 2020, West debuted his sixth Yeezy Season collection at Paris Fashion Week. The collection featured more futuristic and innovative pieces, as well as models wearing masks and goggles. The collection received positive reviews from critics and fashion insiders.
In 2021, West debuted his seventh Yeezy Season collection at Atlanta’s Mercedes-Benz Stadium. The collection featured more religious and spiritual pieces, as well as models wearing robes and crosses. The collection received positive reviews from critics and fashion insiders.
Personal Life and Controversies
West has been involved in several personal and public controversies throughout his career. He has been outspoken about his opinions on politics, religion, culture, and society. He has also faced criticism for his behavior and actions on various occasions.
In 2005, West made headlines when he said “George Bush doesn’t care about black people” during a live telethon for Hurricane Katrina relief. He later apologized for his remark but maintained his stance on the government’s response to the disaster.
In 2006, West posed as Jesus Christ on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine. He said he did it to express his faith and to challenge the stereotypes of hip-hop culture.
In 2007, West had a heated argument with MTV over the placement of his performance at the Video Music Awards (VMAs). He claimed he deserved to perform on the main stage instead of a side stage. He also accused MTV of favoring Britney Spears over him.
In 2009, West interrupted Taylor Swift’s acceptance speech for Best Female Video at the VMAs. He grabbed the microphone from her and said “Yo Taylor, I’m really happy for you, I’ma let you finish, but Beyoncé had one of the best videos of all time”. He later apologized for his actions but faced backlash from fans and celebrities alike.
In 2010, West released a short film called Runaway that accompanied his album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. The film featured a phoenix-like creature that represented his love interest. He said he wanted to create a visual representation of his music and artistry.
In 2011, West began dating reality TV star Kim Kardashian. They became one of the most famous celebrity couples in the world. They got engaged in 2013 and married in 2014 in Italy. They have four children together: North (born in 2013), Saint (born in 2015), Chicago (born in 2018), and Psalm (born in 2019).
In 2013, West compared himself to Steve Jobs, Walt Disney, and Michelangelo in an interview with BBC Radio 1. He said he was a creative genius and a visionary who wanted to change the world through his music and fashion. He also criticized the media and the industry for not recognizing and supporting his talent and ambition.
In 2016, West endorsed Donald Trump for president during a concert in San Jose. He said he did not vote but if he did, he would have voted for Trump. He also expressed his admiration for Trump’s campaign and his willingness to challenge the status quo. He later met with Trump at Trump Tower in New York and discussed various issues.
In 2018, West sparked controversy when he said slavery was a choice during an interview with TMZ. He said black people had been mentally enslaved for 400 years and needed to free themselves from their victim mentality. He later clarified his statement but faced criticism from fans and celebrities alike.
In 2020, West announced his candidacy for president as an independent candidate. He said he wanted to run on a platform of faith, family, and freedom. He also revealed he had bipolar disorder and had been hospitalized for a mental breakdown in 2016. He later withdrew from the race after failing to secure enough votes.
In 2021, West filed for divorce from Kim Kardashian after seven years of marriage. He cited irreconcilable differences as the reason for the split. He also requested joint custody of their four children.
Awards and Achievements of Kanye West
Kanye West has won 24 GRAMMY Awards out of 75 nominations, making him one of the top GRAMMY winners in history, and tied with Jay Z as the highest-decorated hip-hop artist. He has also been nominated for Album of the Year twice, for his albums Donda and Montero.
Kanye West has received 10 BET Awards, 17 Billboard Music Awards, 3 Brit Awards, 5 MTV Video Music Awards, and 6 MOBO Awards, among many others. He has also been honored with special awards such as the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award in 2015 and the Artist of the Decade Award in 2020 by Billboard.
Kanye West has also been recognized for his work in fashion, design, and philanthropy. He has received awards such as the Shoe of the Year Award in 2015 for his Yeezy Boost sneakers, the Webby Award in 2016 for his digital album release of The Life of Pablo, and the Million Man March Award in 2005 for his contributions to Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.
Artistic Vision and Style
West has been praised for his artistic vision and style throughout his career. He has been recognized as one of the most influential and innovative artists of his generation. He has also been credited for changing the sound and culture of hip-hop and music in general.
West has been known for his use of sampling, which involves taking a portion of an existing song and reusing it in a new song. He has sampled various genres of music, such as soul, rock, gospel, classical, and electronic. He has also sampled various artists, such as Curtis Mayfield, Ray Charles, Daft Punk, Nina Simone, and Elton John.
West has also been known for his use of auto-tune, which is a device that alters the pitch and tone of a voice. He has used auto-tune to create different vocal effects, such as distortion, modulation, and harmony. He has also used auto-tune to express different emotions, such as pain, joy, and anger.
West has also been known for his use of storytelling, which involves creating a narrative or a theme for a song or an album. He has used storytelling to explore different topics, such as fame, love, religion, politics, and society. He has also used storytelling to create different characters, such as the college dropout, the heartbroken lover, the dark fantasy, and the gospel rapper.
West has also been known for his use of fashion, which involves creating a distinctive and unique look for himself and his products. He has used fashion to express his personality, mood, and taste. He has also used fashion to influence and inspire others.
Kanye West is a rapper, producer, fashion designer, and entrepreneur who has achieved global fame and fortune. He is also a controversial and polarizing figure who has faced criticism and admiration for his opinions and actions. He is a creative genius and a visionary who has changed the music and fashion industry with his artistic vision and style. He is Kanye West.
FAQs about Kanye West
Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the celebrity Kanye West and their answers:
Q: How did Kanye West become famous?
A: Kanye West first gained recognition as a producer, working with artists such as Jay-Z, Alicia Keys, and Beyoncé. He then released his debut album, “The College Dropout”, in 2004, which solidified his position as a solo artist.
Q: What are some of Kanye West’s most famous songs?
A: Kanye West has released 10 studio albums and numerous singles, many of which have become hits and classics. Some of his most famous songs include “Gold Digger”, “Stronger”, “Heartless”, “Power”, “Runaway”, “N****s in Paris”, “Black Skinhead”, “Famous”, “Ultralight Beam”, and “Follow God”.
Q: What is Kanye West’s net worth?
A: Kanye West’s net worth is estimated to be around $1.8 billion as of 2021. He earns most of his income from his music, fashion, and business ventures. He is the founder and owner of the Yeezy brand, which produces sneakers, clothing, and accessories in partnership with Adidas. He also has stakes in other companies such as Gap, Tidal, and Donda.
Q: Who is Kanye West married to?
A: Kanye West married model and reality TV star Kim Kardashian on May 24, 2014. They have four children together: North, Saint, Chicago, and Psalm. However, in 2021, they filed for divorce after seven years of marriage.
Q: Why did Kanye West run for president?
A: Kanye West announced his candidacy for president as an independent candidate in 2020. He said he wanted to run on a platform of faith, family, and freedom. He also revealed he had bipolar disorder and had been hospitalized for a mental breakdown in 2016. He later withdrew from the race after failing to secure enough votes.