Jonathan Majors, the star of Marvel’s Kang the Conqueror, was found guilty of assaulting his ex-girlfriend and lost his role in the MCU.
Table of Contents
In a shocking turn of events, Jonathan Majors, the actor who played the villainous Kang the Conqueror in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, was dropped by Marvel Studios after a New York jury found him guilty of assaulting his ex-girlfriend Grace Jabbari in March 2023.
Majors faced four misdemeanor charges of assault and harassment and could be sentenced to up to a year in jail. He was accused of grabbing, twisting, and hitting Jabbari in the head after she confronted him about a text message from another woman on his phone. Jabbari suffered a fractured finger, bruising, and a cut behind her ear.
Majors’ lawyer claimed that he was innocent and that Jabbari lied about the incident, but the jury did not believe his defense. They deliberated for three hours before reaching a verdict on December 18, 2023.
Majors’ career and reputation suffered a major blow as he lost several projects and endorsements, including two upcoming Marvel films, Creed III, and a US Army ad campaign. He also faced backlash and criticism from fans, media, and industry peers.
Marvel Studios announced that they had parted ways with Majors and that they would recast his role as Kang the Conqueror, the main antagonist of the next phase of the MCU. Majors was supposed to appear in two more Marvel films, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania and Avengers 5, which are scheduled for release in 2024 and 2025, respectively.
Majors, once a rising star in Hollywood, saw his career and life fall apart after he was convicted of assaulting his ex-girlfriend. He has not made any public statements or apologies since the verdict, but his lawyer said that he would appeal the decision and seek to clear his name. However, it is unlikely that he will be able to restore his reputation or regain the trust and respect of the entertainment industry and the audience. His future as an actor and a person remains uncertain and bleak.
The Incident and the Trial
The incident that led to Majors’ downfall occurred on March 25, 2023, when Jabbari, a model and influencer, saw a text message from another woman on Majors’ phone and confronted him about it. Majors, who was staying with Jabbari at her apartment in Manhattan, allegedly grabbed her, twisted her arm, and hit her in the head to get the phone back, leaving her with a fractured finger, bruising, and a cut behind her ear.
Majors left the scene and stayed in a hotel, but returned the next morning and found Jabbari unconscious on the floor. He called 911, claiming that he was worried that she had attempted suicide, but the police arrested him instead. They found blood stains on the walls and the bed, as well as Majors’ phone, which contained messages from another woman named Sophia Lee, who was later revealed to be Majors’ co-star in Creed III.
Jabbari was taken to the hospital, where she regained consciousness and told the police what had happened. She also filed a restraining order against Majors and sued him for $10 million in damages. She testified that she took two sleeping pills that night because of the pain and that Majors had been abusive and controlling throughout their relationship. She also presented medical records and photos of her injuries as evidence.
Majors did not testify, but his lawyer, Robert Shapiro, argued that Jabbari was the aggressor and that she fabricated the story out of jealousy and revenge. Shapiro also pointed out that Jabbari went to a nightclub after the incident and was seen using her injured finger in a video. He suggested that Jabbari was trying to ruin Majors’ career and reputation, as well as extort money from him.
The trial lasted for two weeks and the jury deliberated for three hours before reaching a verdict on December 18, 2023. They found Majors guilty of all four charges and recommended the maximum sentence of one year in jail. The judge, however, postponed the sentencing until January 2024, pending a pre-sentence investigation.
Jonathan Majors, once a rising star in Hollywood, saw his career and life fall apart after he was convicted of assaulting his ex-girlfriend. He lost his role as Kang the Conqueror, one of the most coveted and lucrative roles in the MCU, as well as other projects and opportunities. He also faced public condemnation and legal repercussions for his actions.
Majors’ fans and followers were shocked and disappointed by the verdict, as they had admired him for his performances in films such as The Last Black Man in San Francisco, Da 5 Bloods, and Lovecraft Country. Many of them expressed their anger and sadness on social media, using hashtags such as #JusticeForGrace, #BoycottMajors, and #CancelKang.
Majors’ colleagues and peers in the entertainment industry also distanced themselves from him, as they did not want to be associated with a convicted abuser. Some of them, such as Brie Larson, Chris Hemsworth, and Lupita Nyong’o, publicly supported Jabbari and praised her for her courage and strength. Others, such as Michael B Jordan, Ryan Coogler, and Spike Lee, quietly dropped Majors from their projects and replaced him with other actors.
Majors’ sponsors and partners also cut ties with him, as they did not want to damage their brand image and reputation. He lost several endorsements and sponsorships, including Valentino, which withdrew its invitation for him to attend the Met Gala, and the Texas Rangers, which canceled its ad campaign featuring him. He also faced legal consequences, as he could face jail time, fines, and a restraining order from Jabbari.
Majors has not made any public statements or apologies since the verdict, but his lawyer said that he would appeal the decision and seek to clear his name. However, it is unlikely that he will be able to restore his reputation or regain the trust and respect of the entertainment industry and the audience. His future as an actor and a person remains uncertain and bleak.