Husband: Arun Yadav
Age: 47 Years
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shalini Yadav
- Shalini Yadav is an Indian politician who made headlines during the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections by contesting against the Prime Minister Narendra Modi from the Varanasi Constituency.
- She belongs to an affluent family with a strong political background.
- Shalini is the daughter-in-law of late Shyamlal Yadav, former Congress MP from Varanasi and Union minister. He was very close to the Nehru-Gandhi Family and had also served as the Deputy Speaker of Rajya Sabha.
- Shalini’s father-in-law, late Shyamlal Yadav, was a close friend of Pranab Mukherjee, the former President of India.
- Before her entry in politics, Shalini was an established fashion designer. However, it was her husband’s strong connections in the Indian National Congress that led her entry into politics.
- After getting a primary membership of Congress, soon, Shalini became Congress’s mayoral candidate in Varanasi in 2017. Although she lost the election, she had secured around 1.14 lakh votes.
- In May 2018, she was honoured with the Rajiv Gandhi Global Excellence Award.
- After the start of the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections, Shalini developed sour relations with Congress and left the party in April 2019. On her decision to leave Congress, Shalini said-
I had problems with the working and the broken promises of the Congress. The party (Congress) always said that it would only bring good people and not parachute candidates, but it was not happening. They (Congress leaders) say ‘chowkidar chor hai’ but they themselves are giving ticket to bahubalis (musclemen)… I am happy that Akhileshji showed faith in me and sent me to Varanasi to fight against the prime minister.”
- In April 2019, Shalini Yadav joined the Samajwadi Party in presence of Akhilesh Yadav.
- Amid the speculations that she would get the Lok Sabha ticket from Varanasi, the rebel BSF Jawan Tej Bahadur Yadav was preferred over her to contest against Narendra Modi from Varanasi. However, his candidature was later rejected on the ground of false information in his affidavit. Thereafter, Shalini Yadav’s name again popped up to get the ticket from Varanasi, and finally, she got the ticket to contest against the Prime Minister Narendra Modi from Varanasi.