Table of Contents
If you are a fan of comedy shows, you might remember the hilarious sitcom ‘Baby Daddy’ that aired on Freeform (formerly ABC Family) from 2012 to 2017. The show followed the adventures of Ben Wheeler, a young bartender who unexpectedly becomes a father when his ex-girlfriend leaves a baby girl on his doorstep. Ben decides to raise the baby with the help of his brother Danny, his best friend Tucker, and his childhood friend Riley, who has a crush on him. Along the way, he also deals with his overbearing mother Bonnie, his quirky boss Ray, and his various love interests.
The show was a hit among viewers and critics, earning six Teen Choice Awards and four People’s Choice Awards nominations. It also featured guest appearances from celebrities like Lucy Hale, Lacey Chabert, Reba McEntire, and John Stamos. The show ran for six seasons and 100 episodes, making it the longest-running sitcom in Freeform’s history.
But what happened to the actor who played Ben, the charming and goofy protagonist of the show? His name is Jean-Luc Bilodeau, and he is a Canadian actor who started his career as a child model. He made his acting debut in 2004, when he appeared in the film ‘Ill Fated’. Since then, he has starred in several movies and TV shows, such as ‘Kyle XY’, ‘16 Wishes’, ‘LOL’, ‘No Ordinary Family’, and ‘Baby Daddy’. He has also won two Teen Choice Awards and a Leo Award for his performances.
Jean-Luc Bilodeau: From Baby Daddy to Big Star
Jean-Luc Bilodeau has come a long way since his debut as a child model. Before landing his breakthrough role as Ben Wheeler in ‘Baby Daddy’, he had already appeared in several films and TV shows, showcasing his versatility and talent. Some of his notable roles include:
- Josh Trager in ‘Kyle XY’, a sci-fi drama series about a mysterious boy who wakes up with no memory and discovers he has extraordinary abilities. Bilodeau played the younger brother of the family that takes him in and becomes his best friend. The show ran for three seasons from 2006 to 2009 and earned positive reviews from critics and fans. Bilodeau won a Leo Award for Best Supporting Performance by a Male in a Dramatic Series for his role in 2009.
- Jay Kepler in ‘16 Wishes’, a fantasy comedy TV film about a teenage girl who gets 16 magical candles on her birthday that grant her wishes. Bilodeau played her childhood friend and love interest, who helps her realize the true meaning of her wishes. The film premiered on Disney Channel in 2010 and became the most-watched cable program of the day, with 5.6 million viewers.
- Jeremy in ‘LOL’, a romantic comedy film starring Miley Cyrus and Demi Moore as a mother-daughter duo who struggle to cope with the challenges of modern life. Bilodeau played the boyfriend of Cyrus’ character, who cheats on her with her best friend. The film was released in 2012 and received negative reviews from critics, but Bilodeau’s performance was praised as one of the few bright spots.
- Josh in ‘Piranha 3DD’, a horror comedy film and a sequel to the 2010 film ‘Piranha 3D’. Bilodeau played a water park employee who gets attacked by the deadly fish. The film was released in 2012 and received mixed reviews from critics, who criticized its plot and humor, but appreciated its gore and 3D effects.
During his stint as Ben Wheeler in ‘Baby Daddy’, Bilodeau also appeared in several other projects, such as the TV films ‘Casa Vita’ and ‘The Christmas Curse’, and the web series ‘Love Daily’. He also lent his voice to the animated series ‘Thunderbirds Are Go’ and ‘Dragons: Race to the Edge’.
After ‘Baby Daddy’ ended in 2017, Bilodeau continued to pursue his acting career, appearing in films such as ‘Axis’, ‘The Outlaw League’, and ‘The Fiddling Horse’. He also starred in the TV series ‘Carol’s Second Act’, a medical comedy about a retired teacher who becomes a doctor at age 50. Bilodeau played Daniel Kutcher, a resident physician and the love interest of the titular character’s daughter. The show aired for one season from 2019 to 2020 and received mixed reviews from critics and audiences.
Bilodeau is currently working on his upcoming projects, such as the TV film ‘A Christmas Break’ and the thriller ‘The Knocking’. He is also set to reprise his role as Ben Wheeler in the ‘Baby Daddy’ reunion special, which will air on Freeform later this year. The special will reunite the original cast and give fans a glimpse of what happened to their favorite characters after the series finale.
Aside from his acting career, Bilodeau also has a personal life that he keeps mostly private. He is 33 years old and holds Canadian citizenship. He is of French Canadian descent and speaks fluent French. He is currently in a relationship with actress Chelsea Hobbs, whom he started dating in 2017. He was previously in a relationship with singer Emmalyn Estrada from 2010 to 2014. He also has a daughter named Isabella, who was born in 2015, from a previous girlfriend.
Bilodeau is not only a talented actor, but also a passionate hockey fan. He supports the Vancouver Canucks and often attends their games. He also plays hockey himself and enjoys skating and snowboarding. He loves music and listens to various genres, such as rock, pop, and hip hop. His favorite band is Rush and his favorite singer is Ray LaMontagne.
Bilodeau’s character Ben Wheeler in ‘Baby Daddy’ was a fun-loving and irresponsible young man who had to grow up fast when he became a father. He was also a hopeless romantic who had trouble finding his true love. Bilodeau has said that he relates to Ben in some ways, such as his sense of humor and his loyalty to his friends and family. However, he also said that he is more mature and responsible than Ben, and that he doesn’t have as many dating disasters as him.
Bilodeau has also expressed his gratitude and affection for his ‘Baby Daddy’ co-stars, whom he considers as his second family. He has said that working on the show was a great experience and that he learned a lot from his fellow actors. He has also praised the show’s creator, Dan Berendsen, for creating such a wonderful and funny show.
Some of his co-stars have also shared their admiration and friendship for Bilodeau. Tahj Mowry, who played Tucker Dobbs, Ben’s best friend and roommate, has said that Bilodeau is one of his closest friends and that they have a lot of fun together on and off set. He has also said that Bilodeau is a great actor and a great person. Melissa Peterman, who played Bonnie Wheeler, Ben’s mother, has said that Bilodeau is a sweet and talented guy who always makes her laugh. She has also said that he is like a son to her and that she is very proud of him.
What’s Next for Jean-Luc Bilodeau?
Jean-Luc Bilodeau has proven himself to be a versatile and talented actor who can make us laugh, cry, and swoon. He has also shown us that he is a humble and genuine person who values his friends and family. He has come a long way since his days as a child model and has established himself as a successful and respected star in the entertainment industry.
But what can we expect from him in the near future? Well, he has a lot of exciting projects lined up for us, such as:
- A Christmas Break: A romantic comedy TV film that will air on Lifetime this December. Bilodeau plays a school teacher who falls in love with a Hollywood star who returns to his hometown for the holidays. The film also stars Cindy Sampson, Steve Byers, and Samantha Helt.
- The Knocking: A thriller film that will be released in 2024. Bilodeau plays a man who moves into a haunted apartment building and becomes obsessed with finding out the truth behind the mysterious noises he hears. The film also stars Shannyn Sossamon, Noah Segan, and Jocelin Donahue.
- Baby Daddy Reunion Special: A one-hour special that will air on Freeform in 2024. Bilodeau will reprise his role as Ben Wheeler and reunite with his original co-stars, such as Tahj Mowry, Derek Theler, Melissa Peterman, and Chelsea Kane. The special will give fans a glimpse of what happened to their favorite characters after the series finale and will feature some surprises and nostalgia.
We can’t wait to see Jean-Luc Bilodeau in these projects and more. He is definitely a star to watch and a baby daddy to remember. As he once said, “Life is full of surprises, and you never know what’s going to happen next. You just have to go with the flow and enjoy the ride.”